In this time of social distancing and self-quarantining that helps slow the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19), how do we keep active and mentally healthy? This is especially challenging in many parts of the world as schools, workplaces, gyms, and fitness classes are closed. Exercise (even a single bout) can boost your immune system and aid in your recovery from viruses and infection. So, let’s get moving!!!
Here are a couple of ideas to exercise on your own, with a buddy or family members.
- Get outdoors for a walk, run or hike. Outdoor activities afford greater opportunities for social distancing at the recommended ~2 metres (6 feet) from others.
- Participate in our Exercise Challenge which can be indoors or outdoors.
The My AgeFit 7-Day Challenge: Week 1
The My AgeFit 7-Day Challenge involves six exercises that challenge the arms, core, gluts and legs and done in any order.
- Stretch for 2-3 minutes, prior to exercising
- Complete 20 repetitions of each individual exercise (20 seconds for the plank)
- Rest for 10 seconds between exercises (Modified versions of the exercise are in parentheses)
So here it is:
- Air squats (or mini air squats)
- Sit ups (or crunches)
- Push-ups (or wall push-ups or knee push-ups)
- Plank (or from the knees or with straight arms)
- Step Ups onto a chair (or onto a step)
To modify for different fitness levels, adjust the number of repetitions to 10 or 15 reps (easier), or 30 reps (challenging !).
View or download our My AgeFit 7-day Exercise Challenge 1
How do you keep yourself accountable?
- Buddy up with a friend and text your friend when you have completed your exercises without breaking the seven-day streak! Send them an “accomplishment emoji”! Day 1 💪; Day 2 😎…..
- Join us in our dedicated Facebook group. Let us know how you are going along the way.
- When you have completed the My AgeFit 7 -day Challenge, inform us of your achievement on Facebook.
We will post another challenge next week!