Have you ever wanted to build your endurance to run 5 km? Doing so requires training, motivation, determination and a plan to get there! This sort of goal can seem daunting. Yet, with a regular and methodical training plan like we outline here, this undertaking is achievable for almost everyone! Not only will you work towards satisfying the American Heart Association’s recommendation of fulfilling 150 minutes of heart-pumping activity per week, but you will reap multiple ‘wonder-drug’ benefits that aerobic exercise offers. Additionally, this will help you to achieve the suggested goal of “10,000 steps per day” much more quickly! If in your community you are able to enjoy the outdoors while respecting social/physical distancing, try this program to build to a 5 km run or a fast walk, if fast walking is more palatable for you.
Parallel to our weekly My AgeFit Exercise Challenges [Challenge 1 and Challenge 2] that focus on strength and muscular endurance, we’ve outlined a 6-week program (4 sessions per week) to help you build towards a 5 km (3.1 miles) goal. This program requires consistency, and incrementally challenges your body.
If you are able and permitted to exercise outside while respecting social/physical distancing to reduce the spread of the coronavirus (Covid-19), utilize locations that are unlikely to be heavily populated, and make use of hours during the day when fewer people are outside. We encourage you to try this 5 km challenge so you will be ready to take part in a “fun run” or similar event when they are offered.
If you wish to build more slowly, then repeat some of the weeks and increase the time/distance over 8, 10 or 12 weeks. Remember this should be challenging but not painful. If you have not recently exercised aerobically, ensure you stretch before and after running and keep to a flat course in the first few weeks. You are the master of your body and this is your workout. Enjoy and buddy up with someone to help you achieve this goal.
My AgeFit – 5 km Run Challenge
- Before your session: Complete a 2-minute fast walk, followed by stretching your hamstrings and calves.
- After your session: stretch your hamstrings, calves, quads and glutes.
- If you choose to walk quickly rather than to run, you may wish to reduce your distance to a 3 or 4 km challenge.
You can download a .pdf version of the training program here : My AgeFit 5 km Run Challenge
How will you keep yourself accountable?
- Buddy up with a friend and text your friend when you have completed your run/walk! Send them an “accomplishment emoji”! Week 1 😎…..
- Join us in our dedicated Facebook group. Let us know how you are going along the way.
- When you have completed the My AgeFit 5 km Run Challenge, let us know how you did on Facebook group.